What are airline miles and how to get them
Airline miles are often called frequent flyer miles. Whichever name you know them by these miles are accumulated through a loyalty program either run by an airline or credit card company. These miles are gained by flying or by spending money on your credit card. Once you have enough miles available you can exchange them for a flight or part payment towards a flight. Airline miles are often offered for groups of airlines such as One World but some only count towards flights with a particular airline.
Miles flown or gained don't count as actual miles. They are basically a points system and you will need to gain a certain number of points before you can use them towards a flight.
If you want to gain the highest number of points using tried and tested methods here is a list of seven points that will help you.
- Check where you are most likely to fly: Airline programs are free to join but if you join all of them you may end up with points spread out across a number of airlines. It is better to have 100000 points with one airline group instead of 100000 spread over 10 programs. So choose the ones that you are most likely to use and stick with them.
- Cards: Make sure that the credit card company you choose works with the airline that you are going to use. Check the fine print and make sure that you get a card that provides you with a high number of points for usage. Cards affiliated with a particular airline will usually give higher point values then general cards that can be used with a number of airlines.
- Dining programs: A number of airline miles programs offer dining programs. You will earn bonus points for eating out at a number of linked restaurants. The dining programs are free to join and a great way to earn extra points while enjoying a meal.
- Shopping: The majority of airline miles programs have shopping portals on their frequent flyer websites. Use these portals for your purchases and gain extra points each time you shop.
- Audience Rewards: This is another rewards program associated with a number of airline miles systems. Each time you watch a Broadway show you will get bonus rewards and get to see a fantastic hit show.
- Hotel Rooms: If you book through certain websites such as Agoda you will be given bonus airline miles on all your hotel room bookings. This can be a great way of earning extra miles of you often have to travel for work. There are a number of crossover programs between hotel rewards and airline rewards. You can earn rewards with both programs for stays and get bonus miles.
- Vacation packages: A number of airlines offer vacation package booking systems. If you book your next vacation through your airline miles program you will get bonus miles. These bonuses are often very large as an incentive for travelers to use the airlines booking system.
Bonus: The one that everyone seems to forget when trying to accumulate points is to actually fly. Each flight that you take will earn you large numbers of points. So make sure you fly with the same airline or with the same airline group to maximize your points from each trip.